For decades, Opportunities for Williamson & Burnet Counties has been carrying out the following mission: To empower children, families and seniors to achieve and maintain independence by partnering with area organizations to provide education, nutrition, housing and community support. Throughout 2020, this mission has become even more impactful.
As the local community action agency, Community Services programming is available through our case management and energy assistance services. Since the spring, we’ve also offered COVID-19 emergency assistance for folks who have lost employment and require rental assistance. We have served children and families through the Head Start programs across our two counties, providing virtual learning resources when necessary. And our most vulnerable population, our seniors, have been served through the delivery of hot and nutritious, noon-time meals Monday through Friday. Our service in our two county area is important, and the impact is increasingly evident.
This holiday season, we ask for your support and your thoughts as you carry out your holiday shopping and mail your holiday cards. Our clients need extra support this time of year, and we hope you’ll consider giving back, whether through a monetary donation or a stack of homemade holiday cards.
Here are a few ways you can help.
- As you begin your holiday shopping, you can support us via Amazon Smile, where Amazon donates 0.5% of the price of eligible purchases to OWBC. Support us here.
- Support specific program needs through our Needs Lists, which can be viewed on Amazon. Whether you’d like to add diapers to your cart for our Head Start kiddos or dog food for our seniors’ pets, any donation helps. View the Community Services Needs List here. View the Head Start Needs List here. View the Meals on Wheels Needs List here.
- Contribute to our GivingTuesday Facebook fundraiser. Our goal is to raise $1,000, and you can support us by either donating or sharing our fundraiser with your own friends and family. View our GivingTuesday fundraiser here and share away!
- Tune into our virtual fundraiser on Wednesday, December 16th! This year, we are holding the first ever Holiday Cookie Decorating Contest, where local bakeries enter their best holiday cookie. It’s only $1 to submit 1 vote for your favorite cookie, so it’s a family-friendly way to give back this holiday season. Online voting will be open December 9-16, so be sure to vote, vote, vote!
- If you’d like to make a regular donation at any time, you can do so here.
- Looking for something fun to do as you’re stuck inside? Gather up the family, grab some markers and paper, write a message, and you’re good to go! Any holiday card donations can be dropped off at the main office (604 High Tech Drive in Georgetown) by December 10th.